Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: I Want a Fox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: I Want a Fox

Quote Originally Posted by greenfox View Post
    One of my EAA members that I met this week said he put a Dynon IFR system in his airplane that he finished recently for around 20 thousand. However he does have a Van's RV.

Wil
    Not necessarily impossible, but do your homework. No Dynon system is IFR legal on it's own. At a minimum, you need a certified GPS. To really be an IFR plane, you'll want a nav/ils radio and indicator. This can easily be $7-$10k worth of equipment if you find used or remanufactured components. That's before you even get to a PFD, switches, fuses, autopilot, wires, adahrs, elt, intercom, etc. If you want something like a GNS430 in a Dynon panel, I don't think $20k is going to get you there. Forget about anything newer.

Like I say, not necessarily impossible, but it would be tough, and likely involve installing pretty dated equipment. Sure it would be nice to have the capability, but you won't keep your cost down if you install all the "nicetohaves". I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but if you are retired, don't enjoy IFR, and want to control costs, why not just wait for better weather and enjoy the Kitfox as god intended?

My wife is a professional pilot and her philosophy is if you don’t have anti ice systems, there is no point in being true IFR. The nthermostat ce thing about panels is you can upgrade them. If I were you I’d start with your budget plane that’s VFR with room to grow and add things as you see fit/have a need for.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Greenfox, I sent you a private message. Just checking to make sure you got it. James Thomas

Smile Re: I Want a Fox

Nice to see some other Virginia folks in here! I'm in Front Royal and looking to build soon.