Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 7ss vs 7 Speedster differences

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 7ss vs 7 Speedster differences

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The speedster appears to have no dihedral which would be hard to change.I'm curious to why the difference and if anyone has flown with both options good or bad or indifferent?
    I have a buddy that used to have a Model IV with dihedral that he said reminded him of a diving pigeon. He hated the look. When I was building my first IV I asked the factory the difference in performance since the early IV Speedster also had no dihedral. I was told - no difference. I reduced the dihedral, but did not eliminate it. Then recently I read an article in Kitplanes Magazine discussing "Dihedral Effect". Essentially, Wing dihedral is critical in low wing airplanes, but not so much in high wing airplanes. With a high wing a side slip will create high pressure under the up-wind wing due to the fuselage being below the wing and low pressure under the down-wind wing for the same reason resulting in a favorable roll tendency. This effect is missing (actually potentially reversed) with a low wing airplane. This necessitating dihedral on low wing airplanes. My first IV had minimal dihedral as I built it from day one. The one I fly now had the wings installed by the first builder and somewhat resembles the diving pigeon. With my two Model IVs, I perceive no difference in handling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel