Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kick back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kick back

Had a prop strike so sent engine in just to be sure everything was ok. They replaced one disc in clutch and I asked them to put in the soft start module while they had it. They also put in a new fly wheel that was supposed to improve starting. It kicks back more now then it ever did before. Plus it starts very hard. I thought this was going to make it easier on the engine. Any ideas out there? Should I just put it back the way it was?

Default Re: Kick back

Good morning,

I am new to LSA ... what is a soft start module?

Best regards,

Mike

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

My new 2015 912uls engine with the factory soft start, spins fast and fires instantly. It has the HD starter.

You need a good battery to get the rpm for the modules to fire, my first thought is your battery may not be up to the task or a little weak.

I have heard of kickback problems from a weak battery.

I think if I remember right if kickback is a common regular, occurrence the sprag clutch gets damaged.

I would try a new battery as the first simple solution,
    I would also recheck the wiring setup for the soft start, If I remember right there are two wires from each module plug that join together and hook onto the starter solenoid .

Did you get this work done in Vernon?

Good luck Mic
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Carb problems can also cause hard start problems.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have the 912uls. Yes they can have problems. I notice more kickback if under 50degrees. I try to plug my motor in so it thinks it's summer time. Ha ha. anyway, I always have a battery tender on my battery I have the big odyssey. I have the slipper clutch and the hd starter. to aid in my start I normally have my idle set at 500rpm so I can pull the throttle all the way back to start. I first pull the choke and let it crank for about 6 seconds. that's with the mags off. Then I only turn one mag on, then I crank the engine with throttle all the way off, as it fires I add throttle to 1800 or higher as needed to make it run nice. then I turn the other mag on. This morning it was right at 50 and it started real nice. having the idle real low really helps in starting. when I shut down I pull the throttle all the way off and turn off the mags at the same time. stops right now, no kick.

One more advantage is when landing I can pull all the way back with flat prop(ivo adjust) and I have nice engine braking. I just have to add throttle as I touch down so I maintain 1800rpm.

If you can't handle a friction lock throttle then install a vernier throttle. That's works really nice with this setup.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

If carbs are setup right, and you have a good battery there should be no voodoo starting method.

Throttle idle, mags on , activate starting carbs, push starter. Advance throttle to keep rpm at 2000 area while deactivating the starting carbs.

With the soft start modules it will run slightly rough for a few seconds then it will smooth out.

Below 10 degrees celcius I preheat if available.

I am using the EarthX 36C battery ,HD starter, it cranks and spins the uls fast and easy . It fires up shockingly fast.
    Last edited by kmach; 05-10-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW