I have some experience with an Avid Magnum since I was hanging out with the Avid Aircraft gang when that airplane was created, and actually had some input on the design.

I had the chance to fly the 160 hp 0320 lyc powered Magnum both on wheels and floats, and can tell you that it is a VERY impressive airplane. If set up properly it will cruise at 130 mph on wheels (with pants) and 125 mph on straight floats (although the floats were small - 1500 Aqua's), and climb at 1800 fpm .

The cabin and the baggage area are HUGE. So huge that I actually felt it was too big (especially compared to the Avid Mark IV or Kitfox IV), as when I sat in it with my buddy I didn't even bump against the door frame (I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs fyi - and cabin is 44 inches wide, and wider with bubbled doors).

A typical Magnum will weigh around 1000 lbs empty, and gross out at either 1750, or 1850 if the builder bumped the gross in accordance with what the factory would bless (as I recall, it was just a number change, not any airframe strengthening). A friend of mine flew his Magnum on floats at 2000-2100 lbs regularly, but I personally would do all possible to stay within the limits the designer suggests as I hate playing test pilot any more than I already do.

In my opinion, the Highlander is essentially just a slightly smaller Magnum sans the flaperons. So when I see them for sale in the 30-40k price range, that makes them an incredible deal. So if you don't care about it being LSA, the Magnum is an incredible airplane for the money.

I have the factory video and some brochures for the Magnum, so if you decide to get serious about buying one let me know and I would be happy to share with you what I have. The video does a really good job of showing it's impressive flying abilities as well as its features.

Paul Seehafer
Model IV Kitfox 912ul Amphib
Highlander 912ULS
Lake Amphib
Avid Flyer Prototype