This new thread is a reflection off Rosslr's comments about DesertFox4's photos under "oz build"

The turnbuckles in this location at the rudder can certainly be used to centralize the rudder/rudder pedals and, to take up some cable length to keep the rudder pedals from contacting the firewall if a little interference developes there.....they are not cable tensioners.

The neat thing about the Kitfox controls, rudder controls in this case, is that it is a "zero slop" system because of the Open System at the rudder pedals (rather than looping the pedals together as is most commonly done in certified aircraft in a "closed system") so the return springs at the pedals tension the cables always and prevent any of the cable slop we see in things like Cessnas. It's a neat engineering feature that gives us that refined control feel.

When I did a couple tests flights in a KF before I bought one, I recall that the excellent control feel, total lack of slop and minimal friction in all the control systems was one thing that caught my attention right away.....so unlike the somewhat clunky, sloppy and draggy control feel of the rental airplanes I had been using.

In the construction without turnbuckles, a person can make the same adjustments in a somewhat more tedious manner.......by changing the length of the rudder links to compensate for pedal alignment or minor cable lenght.

Here is what I have a question about for DF4.......In the photos, I see that you have the airfoiled tail on your IV; and, there is an extension bolted to the rudder arm. Question is....did you fabricate the extension or was there one that could be purchased to install in this location to accomodate the thickness of the rudder with the airfoiled design? How much did the extension change the rudder pedal swing?

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN