Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox SS-7 build ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox SS-7 build ?

Hi Herman,

Yes it has float attach points. You need your centre console for your flaps, fuel shut off, parking brakes, and to run your fuel lines through.

John Mcbean said they were working on carbon fibre everything. If you search this forum you can find it. I know that Paul Lederbrants new SLSA has a carbon fibre cowl. I haven't seen them in their catalogue yet

I'm not sure the exact weight of the turtle deck but it is probably around 5-7 lbs if i had to guess.

Here is the link for the thread for Phil's lightweight Kitfox http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ghlight=presti

I believe the wings have to be abotu 1/4 empty. An easy fix for this is to make a dolly you can lift your tail onto so your wings are level when you fold them.

I suspect many of the ideas you will get regarding your questions will be opinions. Again referring to discussions with my buddy, we both agree (our opinion) we would never have a center console. The most frequent reasons in our discussions has to do with the foot comfort space at the rudder pedals and unnecessary weight. Since none of the early models had a console, there is no doubt in my mind that things could be worked out by routing things elsewhere as was done before.

I helped finish a Series 5 with console and it was a tough part of the finish fitting everything that passed through it through the seat front bulkhead. Lots of moving things there that need separation from fuel line and wiring. And then once installed, completely out of sight with the exception of a couple of inspection holes. All that could easily be routed down the two sides at significant weight savings. Example: the Lancair I helped with had Nylaflow tubing glassed to the inner sides of the tadpole shaped fuselage for the rudder cables. That could easily be done near the floor under where the console is placed - eliminating virtually all hardware. The detents for the flaps could be modified or redesigned to work without the outer console skin. And the fuel line and wiring could be routed like it is on earlier models.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Just to clarify, a Super Sport DOES NOT have forward float attach fittings on the fuselage.

I have a KF 4 on floats in my hangar, and a raw untouched SS kit in my shed, and they are very different from each other. The SS would need special fittings made to attach floats, as the landing gear attachments are completely different on the SS.

The earlier Kitfoxes had brackets welded on fuselage to attach floats.

The SS7 float attach brackets bolt to the landing gear hardpoints.
    pretty slick. Check the picture on Kitfox website, Mark Smiths
    beautiful 7 on amphibs.

Phil