Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Upholstery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Show Off Your Upholstery

It's look very nice..... but the back cushion seem a bit thin...an inch or so?

Looks nice. I wonder if you can order it without the Logo. I don't really like the logo and it would be nice to put something else there.

Chief, I'm on my way out of town, but will measure it when I get back. I didn't measure it but it looks like 2" to me.

Esser, it is custom made, so I'm sure you can order it that way. Probably be cheaper too. I don't think you can see it in the picture, but there is also a "Kitfox Aircraft" embroidered below the "Fox". Looks great!
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Just happen to have my extra seat cushions at home here in the closest . The backs are pretty thin , 1 1/4 for the top half and 1 1/2 for the lower half where the bumps are . The bottoms are thin also only 1 inch foam where your butt is . I took the left bottom to a upholstery shop and had it redone with 2 inches of memory foam . Makes for a better ride without the butt getting numb
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

One inch only.... I have hunting cushion that have the same thickness to sit on in my treestand, more then an hour without start dancing my butt around!!!!

Lost my in process pictures, but basically I went to the local fabric store and got 1 and 2 inch foam. 1 inch for the backs, 2 inch for the bottoms. I cut out the foam to fit the seat pan - 2 bottoms and 2 backs. Then got samples and eventually ordered fabric from this place - http://www.rockywoods.com/ - Lots of different types and colors. I gave the cut out foam to my sister and described what pattern I wanted. She basically made covers to fit the foam pieces using batting with a quilting process for the red area to give it some depth and make the raised portions. We then sewed velcro to the undersides and stuck velcro to the seat pan. My only change would be to use memory foam at least on the bottoms. I have a bunch of matching fabric to eventually do the cargo area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geowitz, is this leather? it seem to be hot for the butt, with all the light that can come through the skylight and windshield.... artificial suede?

Thought I might start inject into this one, though I know it is a bit old.

My wife would like to fabricate the inetrior for out Model III. Any on-line good sources out there for the close cell foam and fabric materials that someone could recommend?

Larry S.

For foam, personally, I would get tempur/confor type from Jim fix at http://www.seatfoam.com/ He is the guy that sells the foam in pieces at Oshkosh. There are a couple of other places but Jim is a small business guy and very honest to work with. WIck's and AS sell it also I believe. I wouldn't use plain old close cell from a fabric store as it doesn't seem to have the support that tempur form provides. all opinion of course.
    For fabric just do a search for aircraft fabrics but Airtex is one of the bigger suppliers that I know of. Their fabrics are aircraft approved, ie, flame retardent.

I work on corporate jets and know that the seats use foam from "Skandia". I took a seminar at sunnfun and the lecturer recommended the same. So i ordered 2 densities from them. Not cheap though. And shipping was $85. Total bill was nearly $300.