Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Build cost?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Build cost?

I know this is a tough question, have any of you totaled up the total build cost for your Kitfoxes? I'm wondering what the final cost to get a new SS7, with a 912 and a simple com. Radio, transponder and gps, into the air would be. I can add up all the known costs for an estimate, but I'm wondering when it's all said and done, how much will it actually cost.

Default Re: Build cost?

If you buy stuff new I think you can figure ~ $60K, I think it would be tough to get below 50 but easy to go higher. Needless to say there are a lot of variables to your question but 60 is probably a good place to start. If you plan on buying used / bargin hunting or getting partially complete project thats another story.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

i still have a lot to buy, but i'm figuring on my total to be $45 - $50k. i will have less invested in my engine than most. i rebuilt my O-200 myself and still need to buy accessories; but i figure the total will be under $12k. being a bit old fashioned, i'm putting mostly used avionics with steam gauges. i bought the quick build ss7 with adjustable pedals and prefab kit.
    ken

Kevin,
    Not directly related to your model, but my experience pretty much mirrors what has been posted already. I built two Model IV-1200s. My first one cost ~ $30,000. $10,500 for the Kit, $10,000 for the engine and about that for a basic panel with Bendix king com and Transponder - all purchased new during the 1993-1998 build timeframe plus the finish. The finish paint was not then EPA targeted and was probably $40 or so a gallon - maybe $250.

The one I recently finished cost almost exactly the same - 14 years later. Previously owned kit - $9,000, Used 912 UL (150 hours) $10,000, and likely the same for the panel as I went with the MGL com and used on the Bendix King transponder (which looks new and works flawlessly). Keep in mind that now you will be paying close to $1200 for paint alone if you go with the Aerothane from Polyfiber and that brought the total once agian to about $30,000. A simple formula I use if you are going new is to take the kit price and times that by three. It is a pretty good indicator and is validated by estimates in previous responses.
    Lowell

I'm probably a bit behind Ken. Just started covering. Bought a used engine (O200) from that company up north in Minneapolis.... bad decision. had to buy a new crank, get case welded, etc. etc. Prop strike according to the case welder in OKC. paid $4k for the engine, will have about $9K in it when finished, with no labor charge. Oh well, learned a good lesson.

on my last project, I bought a used 912ULS from a builder parting out a Zenith Zodiac w/432 hrs. $10.5k Best deal I've ever gotten. That is a great engine.

I hope to come in around $40-50k with used avionics. Well used avionics....

Good Luck.

I'm still looking for a deal on a Grand Rapids EIS if anyone runs across one.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I figure $80,000 for mine

$27,000 for the kit with the options I wanted.
    $3,000 to ship
    $4,000 in provincial tax
    $1,000 ELT
    $1,000 lights
    $22,000 engine
    $5,000 FWF
    $8,000 For panel (Comm, Transponder, and EFIS)
    $1500 upholstery
    $3000-$5000 paint
    $2000 incidentals and changes/mods

Although they say you can build it with basic tools, ive still managed to rack up a couple grand in tools i didnt have.