Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 1.5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Re: Kitfox 1.5

Hi Maq, I have a Model III so can not tell you about a Model I, but was thinking maybe it was called a 1.5 because of the KFM engine install or the installation of the 2 wing tanks. The Model's I / II / III all can with a 9 gal nose / fuselage tank standard a 6 gal wing tank was optional, the tank you refer to behind the seat maybe a header tank (required to get good fuel flow). In researching the KFM 112 engine I come up with it being a 52 hp engine, a light Model will fly on 52 hp not not be a great climber a few Rotax 503 powered Kitfox's have been built and are being flown (the Rotax 503 is 52 hp). As far as a Kitfox flying with 62 hp not a problem many many Kitfox's were built with the Rotax 532 and later on the 582 both have a 64 hp rating but the exhaust was modified to get it to fit under the Kitfox cowl and that mod lowered the hp to between 60 / 62 hp. performance is good to great cruise a bit slow, after 300 hrs on my 582 I converted to the HKS engine it has 60 hp and the performance as good as the 582 but with a nice increase in cruise, and much better fuel consumption approx 3 GPH for the HKS VS 4.5 GPH for the 582. If the plane looks good it should be a good flying plane IMHO.
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 07-25-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ