Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oratex Drain Vent Holes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Oratex Drain Vent Holes

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Question to all, did any of you use any type of grommet?
    Or did you just melt the hole thru the patch and fabric and call it good?
    l know Lars recommends a seaplane patch on every drain hole but I don’t remember ever seeing these on any of the Oratex covered planes I’ve looked at.
    If I did decide to use flat grommets do they come in clear or will they need to be sandwiched in between the fabric and the patch? The ones I see on Aircraft Spruce do not say if they are clear.
    Thanks again!
    Joe Leeman

Joe

The grommets I got from Wag-Aero are clear.

Rick

I have two on each wing, one of the outboard ones is for accessing the pitot tube. The inboard ones are between the lift strut attach point and fuel tanks (bay 4?). At times I wish I had more for the sake of internal inspection or the possibility of getting debris or a dead critter, but I can see a lot by pulling the wingtips and two covers.

For Oratex planes this isn't an big issue because you can always add a ring and fabric patch later if you want to cut more holes. With any of the other covering processes you need plan ahead and put the rings and fabric patch on before the finishing coats. During covering you can put as many rings as you want and never cut them open; it only costs the weight of the plastic rings. FYI I didn't even cut out my wing inspection holes for a couple years. I painted the inspection covers (plus a couple spares) and had them waiting for that day.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016