Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
Being an engineering nerd, I kept very accurate records of time spent on my SS7 build, which included research and much noodling time. I did not use any prefab or quick build items, and wings were totally built by me. The only thing I did not do was paint that required a spray gun. Total time spent from kit parts inventory to AW certificate was 2412 hours (yes, I am slow and careful). The halfway point at 1206 hours was at the start of fuselage covering, the wings and all tail pieces had been covered, taped and Polybrushed-I used the Polyfiber system. This is all from my time log. I realize I saved a lot of time by not spray painting myself, but much of that was offset by my not using any prefab or quick-build items. I installed a 912 uls and did all my own wiring and avionics installation (Dynon Skyview, Garmin SL40, PS Engineering 3000 intercom, ACK E-406 ELT, no auto-pilot). So there you have it by the numbers for one guy's build. Once it was covered, taped and Polybrushed and standing on its own gear, it psychologically felt like it was more than half done, and in my case that was true.

Thanks for this info.