Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mod IV with 582, setting prop pitch question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Mod IV with 582, setting prop pitch question

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Forgot to mention that I will be out and hopefully will be flying my Kitfox this weekend. It is also a Kitfox IV powered by a 582 and Warp Drive prop. When I am out there I'll let you know what the static and takeoff RPM are.
    You're not flying into Indiana are you? I'm always up for a visitor. 36II
    jay

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    You're not flying into Indiana are you? I'm always up for a visitor. 36II
    jay
    Not going anywhere really this time but I'll keep it in mind. This weekend will hopefully get me checked out in the Kitfox. I have about 300 hours tailwheel time but due to health, life, and other issues I haven't flown in about 5 years. I know I'll be rusty, and maybe this weekend we will find out just how rusty. Hopefully not too much.

Funny thing, the wood prop has a 100hr or 5yr TBO
    If I am right, the GSC Prop overhaul time is 5 yr / 500​ hours.

You are right, but still mine was way past the 5 year mark. Needed a new prop anyway. Almost went with the single bolt pitch adjustable one, don't remember the brand.

So I got about an hour of flying in and near as I could tell with the jumpy tachometer i was at 6800-ish during shallow a climb after liftoff. Once in level flight I'd guarantee that if I firewalled it in level flight it would have exceeded 6800, but I didn't let it do that. As far as static RPM, the brakes wouldn't hold for a full throttle run up. It would start rolling about 5500 rpm. During the flight I was too busy keeping controlling the airplane and forgot to look at the tach during the first part of the takeoff. Shortly after starting the roll it looked like it was around 6200, but like I said the tach reading was fluctuating badly. I definitely need to get a new tach.

Pulling my hair out looking for prop protractor today. Never found it, so it's a good excuse to go buy a digital level and really dial the prop in.

Now I'm really stumped. My fancy digital angle finder is showing 11 degrees pitch. I would think it should wind up like a turbine with that little pitch. Think it could be a mixture issue?