Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

I'd like to add something to this thread that should be taken for what it's worth. I believe that the Rotax manual says to torque this M12x1.5 plug to 18 ft.lbs. (216 in.lbs.). I think that earlier manuals may have listed a much higher torque, and many owners may have older engines that were tightened too much, perhaps at the factory and then by the owners. Maybe someone here has an old Maintenance Manual and can confirm or debunk this. I have a friend who said that Lockwood told him to tighten it to only 25 in.lbs. I haven't confirmed that with Lockwood - that sounds way too low to me, but in my opinion this plug is non-structural and has to be only tight enough to prevent leakage, and then is safety-wired to prevent loosening. Perhaps a small amount of anti-seize on the threads would be a good idea also. I don't presume to know more about this than Rotax does, so owners should check this information for themselves.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

I've bought the SAF-Air quick drain valve for my engine (which I don't have yet). Apparently I also needed an extension adapter due to the oil tank position on newer Rotax engines, so I bought that as well.

Yes, the initial outlay is higher than buying a sump plug but for oil-draining convenience they seem pretty useful.

Drain valve: https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...roduct/M12175/

Adapter: https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...oduct/RM12175/