I am planning to start a home built project in 2019 having completed (mostly) my workshop a few weeks ago. I am down to two models as the finalists: an S7, probably STi variant, and a Van’s RV-14. Yes, two quite different airplanes, but let me try to add some rationale. Up until a few months ago, the lead contender was a Rotorway A600.

I was really hoping to be able to fly off of my own property, but I live in the rolling hills of northern PA so even a short runway is problematic, but I might be able to scratch out 500’. That is why the A600 was the lead candidate initially. I could fly it off my property, and it would be great for $100 hamburger flights, but obviously has no cross-country utility. However, Rotorway’s 50% price increase last year caused me to re-evaluate and the desire for some cross country flying.

I flew an RV-6 20+ years ago, but family and career precluded building then. Retired now, I have the time and probably the money within reason. I still like the RV series and I really like the roomier -14 (I am 6’ and 225). I also like the excellent cross-country capability, but it really needs at least a good grass or gravel runway and the low-wing makes low and slow flying less fun. I learned in Cessnas and owned a C-182 for a number of years and have always been partial to high-wing designs.

The three high-wing designs I have looked at most closely are the Kitfox, Carbon Cub and Bearhawk. I am not a big fan of tandem seating so the Kitfox comes to the top of the list. The fact that the KF is trailerable, mitigates to some degree the airport issue as I can at least store my airplane on my property and save hangar costs. I like its low and slow capability, range of engine options and good downward visibility. I do, however, have a couple of questions/concerns I am hoping to find answers to here in the forum.

1. How roomy is the cockpit for someone of generous size? It looks like it is about the same width as my 182 and the 182 was only really comfortable when flying solo or with a skinny person in the right seat. Two 225 pounders was a little much width-wise. Yes, I know that losing 40 lbs would be a good idea on many fronts.

2. How complete is the Kitfox kit compared to such standard bearers as Van’s and the Carbon Cub? Is there a lot of shopping to be done for miscellaneous parts or are the kits pretty complete assuming purchase of most available kits such as firewall forward and such?

Lastly, if any Kitfox owners are located in the northern tier of PA or southern tier of NY, I’d love to see one in person and possibly get a chance to sit in one to experience first hand the cockpit size and shape.

Happy New Year! Hopefully, my start of construction year.