I own a model 4 1200. Though I got mine from my grandfather I have to say it's been a absolute joy to own.

If buying a kitfox I would not get anything older than the model 4 1200. There was a lot of upgrades that were implemented with the 4 and later that are pretty nice and make them great flying machines.

The operating costs are almost 0 ($15 an hour gas), plus I do all the maintenance my self. So far I have had to redo the brakes, fuel lines, tires, and install an oil cooler. Did it all my self paying for nothing more than the parts cost. This is HUGE in aviation. Plus you won't have to wait for a shop to finish it. If you want it done order the parts and get it fixed up. Beyond that getting to understand your aircraft is a major plus.

Key is to have a trusted A&P to will at least give it a glance to make sure you have not attached the wing backwards.

I was once told by a FEDEX 777 captain when talking with him about planes to fly. I wanted a Comanche 260, high performance, retracts, the works...

He looked at me and said "What you need is something slow and cheap" then pointed at my grandfathers kitfox 4.