Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

View Poll Results: KITFOX should make a 4 seater

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 24.69%
  • No

49 60.49%
  • Kinda interested....keep me updated!

12 14.81%

Thread: 4 Seater KITFOX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 4 Seater KITFOX

So, here's one to consider. Over on Vans Air Force forums, on the front page is a survey on whether Van's should build a back country super cub type version RV.

As stated before, the Return On Investment for Kitfox to design a 4 place, IMHO, would not be there.

The Kitfox does what it does very well, because it is what it is.

To add 2 seats is not just enlarge the cabin, then you have to reinforce the fuselage, then you need more wing to carry the increased weight, then you have to add more HP to carry the increased... it just keeps snowballing without the results you want.

Ralph

Unless things have changed recently, I don't believe Kitfox has any engineers on staff. So a brand new 4 seat design would mean farming out the design work or adding engineers to the staff. Van's has always had engineers on staff to create their many different models. Kitfox is mainly a manufacturing company, and a good one at that, so I don't see drastic new models coming out, just small incremental improvements.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Smile Re: 4 Seater KITFOX

I love our Kitfox SuperSport7 but REALLY want to fly a 4-seater Kitfox! We need more room for our dogs... among other things! :-))

Just to remind everyone taking this survey, the McBeans did develop the S7 STi which undoubted took some aeronautical engineering as well as flight testing. John and Debra would need to consider all the elements of a business plan to develop a 4-seater KF, but with the stability and backlog of orders for a superior airplane in the present design....that's the kind of business I would wish for, and something to take to the bank.

BobRS
    SS7, N104Y, Rotax 914
    Albuquerque, NM

Well, I completely understand the risk and economics. But, while the Bearhawk is a great aircraft the kit is not nearly the completeness and buildability of a kitfox, and the certified options are costly, or in the case of C180 and 185s aging quickly. Maules are great, but still lack the advantages of EAB. I love the idea of something like a Maule MX7-180 offered as an EAB kit which you could equip with a range of power options from 160-220hp - imagine an MX7 you could build yourself with a 215hp IO390, G3X suite, and 4 seats! I have to believe there would be a market for that...