Howdy everyone! I've been doing a lot of research and I'm at the planning phase of my project now. I originally looked into Vans, Zenith and Sonex and even attended a builder's workshop at Sonex. In the beginning I had discounted the Kitfox planes because they are tube and fabric and I somehow thought my plane had to be metal to be a safe and quality aircraft. But upon doing further research I've determined that the Kitfox really fits my mission so much better than anything else out there.

My mission: Safety first- a cross-country flyer that is easy to build and inexpensive to opperate/maintain. I also really like the STOL concept and I believe this adds a lot of safety because It gives you a LOT more landing options should there be an engine-out. Plus the record of structural stability of the Kitfox planes is incredibly impressive. I want a plane that is fun and something I can use to travel and explore.

Another mission consideration: I do like the idea of something that can be a fun family plane, the Kitfox having only two seats doesn't seem like a good option for that, but when you consider that you could build and fly two for the price of a 4-seat kit plane from Vans, Zenith, etc. I think I would strongly consider building a second if it becomes something my family enjoys flying as well, thus fulfilling that aspect of my mission.

The folding wings is a neat plus, and the ease of conversion is awesome! (For example being able to change out the wing, or convert from tri-gear to tail dragger). These to me are a nice icing on the cake.

Here's my question:

The plane I am looking at is the Kitfox S7 Super Sport, but I'd be interested in input regarding other Kitfox planes as well.

I'm wanting to put together a roadmap of my project (and thinking in terms of budgeting as well). I know many people purchase the entire kit at once. But I believe I'd like to work on mine piecemeal. This is primarily for cash-flow purposes. I'd like to be budgeting for future purchases meanwhile having the current piece to be working on. Is there anyone out there who has had experience building their plane in segments (eg. wing kit, fuselage, gear, firewall forward, etc.) and is there a logical order to doing it this way? I would think it might make sense to start with the wings, then get the fuselage next.

I've found a few build logs online, but a lot of what I found are incomplete or are still in progress. I don't suppose there is an index anywhere of online completed build logs? (That would be so helpful!) I'd love to get links to some of your favorite build resources, if you have any. I'd be good to have a complete picture of the whole build process, the order of phases, and what to expect at each step.

Time is my greatest resources. I want to make sure I make good use of it all! Thanks in advance!

-Justin