Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Vne for KF model 4/1200

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Vne for KF model 4/1200

You're probably right DesertFox4 about the windshield thickness. I just figured the airfoil tail surfaces might be less likely to flutter at higher speeds. I do remember that the Speedster called for a thicker windshield. I suspect we're both right. James Thomas

Just as a comparison, the Avid MK IV had a VNE of 135. They never did use any wood ribs in the tail feathers on the Avids. Avid wings are 2' shorter than the standard Kitfox 4. I have noticed the .060" thickness windshield start to buckle in at about 100 MPH though. JImChuk

My IV-1050 stated 125 mph.

My IV-1200 Classic has listed 140.

I agree with Steve, it is all about the windshield. The earlier kits had a thin (.062"?) Lexan (polycarbonate) sheet the w/s was made from. This would begin to stove in at around 115-120 mph. The later kits had a thicker piece (.087'?) or the molded acrylic piece from LP Aeroplastics which was much more rigid.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Is the 140 mph for the standard wing span Larry?
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

I don't know that the wingspan has any effect on the VNE.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

FYI:

Denney Aerocraft Company Model 4 brochure from June of 1992 lists VNE for standard Model 4 at 125 mph, and 145 mph for the Model 4 Speedster.

There is however mention in the brochure about the Speedster having a thicker windshield for the higher airspeeds it flew at (which was advertised with a cruise of 125 and top speed of 135. fwiw, I flew that plane and can verify it actually did those numbers or more, and all on a wood 3 blade GSC prop no less!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Relative to this discusssion, it is my opinion that maximum structural cruising speed is much more important to the everyday Kitfox pilot than VNE.

The Vno is 98 mph for my Model 4 -1200. When dealing with lots of turbulence I adhere to that number like religion as it is a lot more likely exceeding that airspeed number will potentially cause structural damage to your Kitfoxes airframe

Ironically, my Kitfox is the first plane I have ever owned that I had to pay so much attention to that number, as my other planes aren't fast enough to get close to their Vno number. And even though my Kitfox is a float plane, there are times I have to work to keep it under that number