Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Uncontrolled Roll on Full Flaps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Uncontrolled Roll on Full Flaps

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member - in the Davis/Woodland California area.

I've been helping a friend get his Kitfox Model II (Rotax 582) flying and correctly rigged - and having lots of fun flying it too.

But with the fun has come a bit of undesired sphincter puckering excitement.

A couple of weeks ago, the flapperons went into full flutter at ~75mph! Recovered quickly with pulled power and gentle up roll. Yikes.

I found a lot of slop in the remarkably complex control linkages I could tighten and remove. Additionally, the shoulder bearings on the flappers were not tight and I've fixed that. So far, no more flutter.

BUT -

On full flaps, I get a uncommanded and _almost_ uncontrollable roll to the left. Almost full right aileron controls the roll, but it does not seem like a condition I would want to approach landing in! Half flaps seems fine with no roll tendency.

Any insights or suggestions?

I did a quick search and have seen that others mention limited roll authority on full flaps, but I've seen no mention of uncommanded roll.

I look forward to your input - I really need the help.

Also - if there are folks around wanting to fly out, get in touch.

Cheers,
    Owen Hughes

Attached is a picture of the plane:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Uncontrolled Roll on Full Flaps

From your photo it appears there are no mass balance weights on the flaperons; there should be two, one in midspan, the other on outboard end. These weights are extremely important to prevent flutter, and I believe there was a factory bulletin put out to require their installation on the early models that didn't have them.

The uncommanded roll I have no idea about, except it sounds like maybe a very bad rigging problem.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the early Kitfox models only used one balance weight per flaperon. They certainly should have them installed to prevent flutter though. JImChuk

There is one mass balance per flapperon.

Uncontrolled roll to the left when flaps are deployed: I'd be checking for correct part numbers used in the flap/aileron control circuit first of all and if all looks ok, do a ground check to ensure the flaperon angles are the same on both sides for flaps deployed with no aileron. If that's ok, sounds like it could be a rigging issue as Jim suggests. In that case, check the rigging.
    David
    SS7 Builder