Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulation options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Insulation options

Being able to reduce the air coming up from the tail with a seal around the stabilizer jackscrew trim slot would help allot. I too am looking forward to the pictures of that.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

The first thing I did was blocked the airflow through the oil cooler/radiator with a pilot adjustable cowl flap. Keeping the engine temperature at a minimum of 180F translates into more heat in the cabin. Then I installed 3/8" foam rubber seals over the flaperon shaft and stab slots. The right flaperon slot was the source of the greatest draft on my neck (p-factor). Unlike others, I have zero air flow coming from the spar ends. I applied the foam rubber with contact cement. (Sticky Stuff spray). When I expect temperatures below say 20F, I wear a hoodie over the headset. There just isn't any heat coming from the back of a Kitfox 😁
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks so much for the pictures. I'm going to head to the aviation dept at Home depot for some foam material

I do try to dress as warm as possible but anything I can do to cut down on the incoming air will help. Am making boots for the control sticks and am working on better latches to completely close the doors. My airplane is really too drafty to fly when it gets below 35 degrees or I'm just getting too old to tolerate it

I'm going to keep working on my plane to get it warmer in the winter and I sure appreciate all the help.

Thanks
    Rodney

I am wondering why you have an air problem with your doors leaking air. I just finished setting the door frames and attaching the acrylic, the acrylic seemed to fit perfectly into the door frame. I have not installed the latch yet as I was looking into a mechanism that will latch at both front and back of the door.
    Just curious.

Hi Jim
    I Think it is good idea to have both front and back catches especially on the passenger door.
    I notice some of my wider passengers tend to squeeze the front with hips or legs and allows cold air to scoop in. I added a small safety pin in this area that must be removed before the door will open. Simple but effective effective.
    Cheers Don