Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Gap Distance ??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rudder Gap Distance ??

The plans call for 1 1/2 inches at the top and 2 5/16 inches at the bottom between the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer and leading edge of the rudder, the plans I have show no fiberglass fairings in the drawing. I'm installing the fiberglass fairings, taking into consideration for the thickness of the fiberglass, I adjusted the turn barrels to the proper length. The trouble is, I ended up with no gab, in fact, I'm about a 1/3 of a hole from getting a bolt in the bottom hinge point and the top is up tight.
    The fairing on the stab is up tight against the tail post, which took some adjusting etc. and the rudder fairing is equal distance from the vertical tubing on the rudder. Both fiberglass pieces are straight, and fit nicely on the bench, but using the plans measurements the ruder doesn't line up.
    What I'm considering doing is placing temporary spacers at the top and bottom of the tail post fairing at the vertical center line near where the turn barrels screw in, run the turn barrels on and install the rudder. Adjusting the turn barrels, till the rudder leading edge is just touching the spacers. This will take a little trial and error. Not sure of the spacing between the two pieces, hopefully someone can give me an idea what that space might be. I'm thinking 1/4 maybe 3/8 of an inch, whatever will give satisfactory space that will allow no touching between the two surfaces while moving the rudder from stop to stop, I'll also take into consideration the thickness of the covering material,
    I'm interested in hearing how others did theirs? Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by southwind32; 08-31-2017 at 07:38 PM.