Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: has anyone built a radio controlled kitfox?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: has anyone built a radio controlled kitfox?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    We have been working to get one done for some time now.. they should be available this year.. Hopefully within the next couple months.

Darn you, Mr. McBean. Darn you!!!
    Maybe I will manage to wad up my Sport Cub about the time the KF RC comes out.....

I have made a few attempts at some small scale replicas of my Series 5 Outback, and while I am happy how they turned out, I realized that flying them was not feasible primarily due to final weight. When scaling down to the small sizes that I built , the Aerodynamics change and even though , I upsized the empennage and wing they did not want to fly. I went all electric for the motors, they sure taxi nice and make nice shelf displays. The first photo is the real thing and the others are the models. I am currently working on the third one that I think will be the one that finally flies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a cool looking model! Just not enough power with the electric motor? I think if you would get rid of that full IFR panel you could lose a lot of weight!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Airlina, very nice! And i like your dedication to multiple attempts to get it right. I started this thread because i was hoping someone else did the legwork. I'll have to wait and see what John M comes up with.
    what is your scale size?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

the model looks good. I'm surprised there was not one out there yet.

I've been toying with the idea of making a 1/4 scale Kitfox with folding wings and a gas engine. What slows me down is the thought of welding up a scale fuselage, I wouldn't want to make a scale Kitfox fuselage out of sticks of wood, it just wouldn't be right.

I haven't researched the airfoil to see how the actual KF airfoil would work scaled down. It might be better to use a proven RC airfoil that provides good slow flight characteristics. You could change the airfoil without loosing the scale appearance.

John McB, do you need some help with your model? I was into RC building and flying for many years. I've done gas, glow & electric powered planes from small foamies to 1/4 scale size. I would love to see what you have sometime.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Ken, to give you an idea on the size of my first 2 models , here they are next to a yardstick. The wingspan on the small one is only 18" and then the next attempt I built bigger with a 32" wingspan.

John, even though I know you were joking about the IFR panel, you aren't too far off of the problem. I have always loved to build my models with scale details (the instrument panel you are referring to is actually a picture of the panel from my full scale Kitfox, scaled down to fit ) and I put a full cockpit in both models which of course adds weight. Also I built them with doors that open , which made that center section over the gear way too weak for the rigors of flight because they are made out of balsa. The one I am working on now is a 40 inch wingspan that will have less detail and more strength. what they call standoff scale. I am anxious to see what Mr. Mcbean is developing.
    Attached Images Attached Images