Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox abrupt departure sensitivity to low speed stalls

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Kitfox abrupt departure sensitivity to low speed stalls

STOL Kit features & Kitfox low and slow sensitivities

I’ve been reading Kitfox accident reports. By far the leading cause of fatalities is low and slow abrupt departure of one wing stall and sometimes a related spin.

A tendency was to cite small wind dying out, or gusting, while flying at slow speeds; especially at high power. Also mentioned were small observed sudden control movements initiating stalling of one wing while in a turning moment. Slow flight turns frequently resulted in uncontrollable stalls of one wing.

The leading cause of aircraft damage is ground looping.

Does anyone have experience with the Sportsman STOL Kit?
    It is NOT rated for a Kitfox, or at least not that I know of.

I’ve been reading about their performance on Cessna 170 aircraft; phenomenal. Even in slow and tight turns the wings will not stall. The approach angle of attack was more flat, providing greater visibility. Also, there were reports of the planes having a feeling of being more stable at touchdown.

Any PIREP’s to share here related to:
    1) Sportsman STOL Kit actual performance
    2) Retrofitting Sportsman STOL Kit features onto a Kitfox wing
    3) Stuff I’m not considering in-general

The Sportsman STOL Kit is reported not to affect cruise speed.
    Last edited by jamesbdunn; 12-23-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: missed a critical point
    James Dunn