Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 582, old but low hours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotax 582, old but low hours

Looking at a Kitfox IV 1200 with a Rotax 582. Both the plane and the engine have just under 100 hours-- however, the plane hasn't flown in 22 years, and the engine has only been fired up a few times since then. Thoughts on what would need to be serviced and what other issues might crop up on an aged, but low-time engine? Is purchasing this plane (and engine) a terrible idea? The engine and plane have been stored inside. Thanks, Laura

Default Re: Rotax 582, old but low hours

Hi Laura:

Given the time it has been sitting, it is advisable to pull the engine for overhaul (inspection, decarbon and new seals). The seals can deteriorate over time (critical for a 2 stroke) and condensation can work its way in and create havoc with bearings and other surfaces. Also, suggest sending to a rotax service center where they can add any upgrades that have come out since the engine was manufactured.

I was in the same boat last year (only my engine had 0 hours, but had been sitting over 20 years). Still sent it our for the inspection, new seals etc.

Its worth the effort.

Kitfox IV is a great bird.

Larry S.

I have a very clean Rotax 670 that I would be willing to trade for a 582 with a gearbox. My 670 is VERY clean.

It is never a terrible idea to buy a Kitfox.
    You definately want to tear down the motor for inspection and also check fabric condition. I had to recover complete on my Model IV but mine spent a lot of it's life outside. I believe the location of the KitFox will also play a part in the amount of possible corrosion in the motor. Dry prairies better than by the seashore. A 582 has a rotary valve for intake which can also help to keep moisture out.
    Still if its a good plane and a good price grab it.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. What should a rebuild cost for a 582? Who is the best outfit to do the work? I figure I'm going to have to ship the engine out regardless, as I'm in Alaska. Thoughts on upgrading to a 670? Is that overkill for a IV? Up here more power is always better and would probably help resale value, but I'm not sure I'm convinced I need it. 912 is not in the budget, or I'd upgrade to that.

The 582 is pretty much similar to a ski doo snowmobile engine. (yes I know there are some differences) Is there a shop in the area that you trust? I have a place about 10 miles from me that I've had go through almost every 2 stroke engine I've flown behind. (probably 10 engines) This place also builds race sleds, so I figured if they could make an engine stay together at twice the rpm I'm running, they aren't to bad. They charged me between $300-$400 to tear down, clean, inspect, regasket and reseal, and put back together. To each his own, but that's what I do. YMMV Jim Chuk

I tend to agree with Jim. I do my own tear down and inspection, but a good snomo shop can do it. If you want Rotax aircraft certified there is a guy in Salmon Arm BC Bob Robertson that has a long history of doing fine work on these engines. I believe his company name is Light engine services. You can take advantage of the low Cdn dollar and save 35% on the cost. There is also a shop in Prince George BC that seems to sell parts for the aircraft engines. I have seen them advertise Ducatti coils and ignition components on ebay. Jim's tear down and reseal price is what it should cost, but expect a lot more if you go to a Rotax aircraft certified shop.
    Good luck.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Oh By the way a 670 is a snomo engine and not certified for aircraft use. I know there is someone claiming all kinds of wonderous things about the 670 but as near as I can tell I have never heard a first hand great performance report on the 670. In fact all I have heard is people trying to sell them. I considered the 670 but have not heard a report of it living up to the claims of the person that is building them.
    Please if anyone has positive to say about the 670, I would like to hear it.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV