Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Mount Points for a Mountain Bike.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Wing Mount Points for a Mountain Bike.

What about using the brackets for folding the wings and then bracing with something off of the lift struts so that the suspended bike won't flap from side to side?
    I would however want something more solid, like the rail that Murphy has.......

One bike fits in ok, but I cannot take a passenger. The 1 wheel has to be cable tied to the roof inside.

But the plane is a 2 seater, and I would love to take 2 bikes and a passenger......

@Dusty:
    Unfortunately, here in South Africa, we are not allowed floats, as the different African water plant life stays alive on the wet floats in flight and spreads to areas where it shouldn't exist....
    Last edited by Rooster; 08-01-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: To thank the input

Hey guys,

There is a little more thought going into this than I made it seem. It is actually being engineered by my friend who is an aeronautical engineer. Most of the weight will be on the strut attach points. The plan is for the bike to add rigidity to the strut so it doesn't put more stress on the jury strut attach points. My early post made it sound like I was going to use the jury strut points which isn't the case. This may go through a few more design changes as well.

I've thought of putting it under the plane but clear issues etc. Your comment about the float attach points though made me think of a rack that could extend horz from the side of the plane...

More to think about. My goal is to get flying before I go after this in earnest.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Esser.
    That's a great thought. If I understand you correctly, hang the bike from the lift strut attach point, and swivel it inwards and upwards to brace on the bottom of the lift struts. This gives the rigidity to the lift struts and better ground clearance when landing and taking off? The 4 wheels could all go in the baggage area?
    Maybe even a cheap fairing (Looking like a cupped hand) that fastens to the bike to help with drag???
    I have a concern that in this configuration it might affect the airflow under the flaperons in a wider area, or is this not an issue???

This is nice thinking, Guys and ladies! I cannot wait to get out there and cycling.

Reid