Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Kitfox owner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New Kitfox owner

How big is a highlander header tank compared to a Kitfox tank?

I thought theirs was a very small one, a piece of wing spar tube, like an Avid. I would think the larger Kitfox tank at a couple of gallons would be able to disperse enough heat...?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Kitfox headers are one gallon and believe it or not I think the highlander is 1.5. When I was looking at the UL, they recommended I increased my header to 3 gallons minimum or return to one of the wing tanks. This was due to vapour concerns. Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Taxied for about 20 mins today! Good news is that I don't seem to be getting any more oil past the turbo into the airbox. Best guess is that I had residual oil that accumulated over that 10 year sitting period and that once blown out and the motor run regularly it won't be a problem.

I still couldn't take the MAP past ambient air pressure and I don't think it is a fuel vaporization issue as it is a problem from the get go, not after running for a while. The previous owner flew for about 150 hours with the return line T'd right back to the fuel pumps on the engine side of the firewall. I don't like the setup of the fuel system and plan on changing it, but I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

Does anyone know what the factory is doing with the SLSA? I may need to take another trip to ID just to check out the airplane closer. At the time I did my training I didn't know enough about what I was looking at.

I think fixing my leaky carbs will make a big difference in my surging issue as right now anytime I go over ambient pressure I get fuel seeping from the fuel bowl.

Thanks to Paul for the heads up. I was aware of the vaporization issue but still am not sure how I want to proceed. How would one run the line back to a wing tank? Would I need to tap a new fitting in? Obviously the header tank would be way easier.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying