Heyy all,

I've got a model 3 w/582 that I'm looking to go through - a modest rebuild and engine change. Ultimately I want to be a 2 Kitfox family, and plan on using the experience on my 3 to build a 7SS. In the meantime though, I'm looking for advice on how to best make the 3 meet my needs.

I'm set on getting away from the 2-stroke world. The 582 has been rock solid, but it's the classic "it's not you, it's me" deal. I was originally thinking of changing over to a 912 setup, but the more I think of it, the more I am leaning towards an R2800. Has that been done to a KF3? I love the idea of low and slow with a radial soundtrack. I'm already going to be replacing the gear, brakes, and tailwheel, so I can likely add enough clearance to swing a larger prop. That brings up two major questions in my mind: 1) with the current setup, I already need tape between the elevator and rear stab surfaces to get a good three-point attitude. Will I need to add weight to the tail? And 2) Will the current tail feathers give me enough authority both in pitch and yaw to handle the larger engine? If not - can I enlarge the rear stabilizer, maybe cut and weld in a model 4 tail?

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated, thanks!