Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hysol mix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hysol mix

Tonight I made my first mix of Hysol. What have people used for accurate mix rates. I was a bit surprised at the short setup time with micro balloons mixed in. I bought the quick build so this mix was for the reinforcement plates on the wing spars.

Jim

Default Re: Hysol mix

In a previous conversation, 50/50 by weight vs 50/50 by volume was discussed and as I recall the factory said either is ok. I mix by weight using a small electronic scale since it is much easier to adjust weight than volume.

From what I remember, there are different Hysol products and the mixing ratios are also different. Follow the recommendations in the instructions. Adequate mixing is extremely important, but I have noticed that that the longer you mix the product, the shorter the cure time.
    Mike
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Hey Jim, I threw this post together a while ago. It may help you. I try to make batches 60 to 100 grams depending what I am doing. I find the bigger the batch the faster it sets up.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4761&

I mixed by volume with measuring spoons leveled off for my whole project. Yes I also noticed the larger batches seemed to set up sooner; I think it is because of the larger amount of heat generated.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Like Jim, I mixed with measuring spoons leveled off also. Very quick & easy. For average size batches I used dixie cups and popsicle sticks ( bought a whole box of them - cheap). Exactly right that heat speeds up the curing process. Larger quantities create more heat. If you use & spread it out right away, doesn't matter much. While it's sitting in the mixing container in a big glob, it makes a big difference.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

When mixing the 50/50 Hysol doing it by volume is about as close to doing it by weight.

When mixing larger batches use a sheet of HDPE plastic or glass. Mix it with an auto body squeegee keeping it thin on the sheet to prevent heat build-up. This method gets a good mix, blends easily and results in maximum working time. When the mixture kicks off it's easy to clean. Scrape the mixing sheet with a single edge razor blade or a sharp putty knife while the epoxy is still rubbery.

And as a reminder, Hysol can get granulated in cold weather. Just warm it up with a heat gun and stir it thoroughly. The granules will melt right in.