These questions have probably been asked dozens of times in different ways, but a search here hasn’t turned up what I’m after.

I’ve been involved in a couple of all-aluminum kits and found them frustrating. For instance, you get everything lined up perfectly per the plans. Then you drill a hole and find that one of the six pieces you just drilled has a too-small edge distance, meaning you have to order all six parts, wait a week for them to arrive, and wonder exactly how you’re going to do it differently next time.

So I’m curious about your build experience. What are the most frustrating things? What mistakes have you made and how have you remedied them? How many extra parts have you had to order?

And about fabric: Aluminum kitbuilders often fly off Phase 1 and more before getting around to painting. Since that can’t be done in a fabric airplane, does everyone have to have a paint booth? Is it reasonable to get everything covered and take it to a paint shop?

Last question: Trial building. Aluminum kits generally start with a tail, making it fairly easy to start without making a 5-figure commitment. But Kitfox starts with wings or fuselage. It appears you’re pretty committed from Day 1. Is there a way to dip a toe in the water without spending $6k? Going to someone else’s shop gives a little insight, but it doesn’t tell me what will keep me awake at night or what questions will make me pace the garage in a cloud of profanity.

Thanks, guys. And thanks for a great site!