Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Survival Vests

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Survival Vests

I do have a vest. Very light and made of mesh so it's cool. I only cary a few items in it. 3 ways of starting fire, some basic medical supplies for splinting bones and filling flesh wounds, several food bars, candy, a good knife, fish line & hooks, some para chord, safety wire, a signal mirror, no ball whistle, a laser light and my SPOT. I always carry a handgun on my belt and my phone in my pocket.

I can figure out which way north is so I figure I don't need a compass. I can build a pretty good shelter out of natural materials. I have water in my plane but if I loose that I can find water in the earth, plants or find a water source. Drinking bad water usually won't make you sick for a few days but a filter straw is a great idea. I also cary a good coat, stocking cap, gloves and duct tape in my plane.

It was discussed by the guy who made the survival vest that the average rescue is 42 hours. Less if you have a good signal, like the SPOT or other device. Even if there isn't a phone signal I always have it on tracking and that will at least provide a clue as to my location. I also have a good group of SPOT trackers who watch my SPOT website when I'm out (friends, some backcountry pilots, some outdoorsmen, my A&P). I also always try to go with someone else as a flight of two when on a plane camping trip in the wilderness.
    Last edited by SkySteve; 12-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos