Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looks like I get to fly a IV- any tips??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Looks like I get to fly a IV- any tips??

Does the friend have experience flying a two stroke powered kitfox? Managing the engine temperatures...EGTs and water temp...requires some techniques different than a four stroke.

The one thing that has fooled many experienced pilots flying a kitfox for the first time is they touch down in a crab due to lining up the side of the engine cowl with the center line. That doesn't work as the cowl is tapered to the nose more than you realize.

On the ramp before you fly, line the airplane up with an object 1/4 mile or more away. Stand behind the plane and sight over the top to be sure it is lined up straight with the object. Now sit in the seat and use a grease pencil to make a short vertical line on the windscreen that lines up with that object. Use that line to line up on the center line when landing.

Do some slow flight and stalls before you land the first time. See where this one stalls on the ASI.

If at all possible find a copy of "How To Fly A Kitfox" by Ed Downs. The material has also been incorporated into the "kitfox Pilot's Guide" available from the factory. Page 7 in the catalog. http://kitfoxaircraft.com/Product_Ca...rtscatalog.pdf

Looks like I typed too slow, doubled down on the landing site line
    Last edited by t j; 03-25-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder