Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
Wade,

My model 4 did exactly what yours does, until I set my flaperons properly. Essentially your flaperons as currently set are trimming the nose up, and possibly even spilling off some lift if set so far as to be somewhat reflexed.

When mine was set like that I noticed some instability (indicative of flap reflex) when the handle was all the way down. To fix mine I trimmed the elevator so it was neutral in flight, and then set the flaperon handle where I had the highest cruise speed, which also is where the airplane flew the flattest. I then landed without moving anything (flaps or elevator trim), measured the flaperon angle with an electronic angle device, and then adjusted the flaperons so the handle was all the way down when the flaperons were at the same angle position previously measured.

My net result? My Kitfox 4 flies flat and fast when flaps are off and elevator trim is neutral. And my flaps work exceptionally well for adding lift for takeoff, or for flying at reduced speeds. And they also work pretty good for helping increase my descent. But slips still provide a steeper descent. So I typically use 1/2 flap for takeoffs and landings. If I'm really needing to get in and out short, I will use as much as full flap for takeoff and landing, but I keep a close eye on things, as full flaps does reduce roll control some.

I've been flying Avids and Kitfoxes since 1986, and personally really like flaperons. But they have to be set properly to be most effective. Hopefully this will help you to get yours adjusted. Once you do you are going to absolutely love that Model 4. They are one sweet flying machine...

Paul
In which hole is the elevator mounted in your mod 4, the upper or the lower one?

Greets,
Tuna