This discussion is making me reminisce about a kitfox I bought with missing/faulty paperwork. I drove all the way to someplace in Maine to pick up this model 2 with promises of "perfect" paperwork only to find he had everything (build log, receipts, etc) except an original A/W cert and properly executed bill-of-sale on the faa form 8050-2 from 1st owner to 2nd. I was the 3rd owner.

As it turns out I was able to recreate the 8050-2 from owner 1 to owner 2 because the 1st owner/builder was agreeable. Owner 2 did not register the airplane but that wasn't necessary.

I bought the records package from FAA in OK city which had a copy of the A/W cert. I thought this would be satisfactory to fly with but not so. The "A" in AROW refers to an original pink A/W cert, a copy will not do. To obtain a new original requires an amended A/W inspection with the scope of that inspection determined by the FAA Administrator assigned to the task. It turned out to be relatively painless after I created some nice looking Engine and Airframe Logs. Therefore I submit that you really don't know the extent of the measures necessary to fix things until you have all the facts. If you look at the attached registration you will see that the original A/W date is still in 1994 the amended A/W took place in 2012. It was sold to the current owner, #4 in 2012.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=547RD

I don't mean to be negative here but I'm just saying that some of this stuff can be way more difficult to fix than you would hope for.