Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Towing Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Towing Question

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    As I recall the tow bar was for short distances and low speeds like 30 mph.
    Highway speeds would not be a good idea. Also I'd be careful on any bumpy roads.
    I'm a new Kit Fox owner and have sustained some major damage due to towing and neglecting to secure one wing properly. I will, in the future, and suggest anyone else do the same, provide a redundant way to secure the wings during towing. I haven't worked it out yet, but it will probably be a highly visible lanyard or ratchet strap.

My left wing swung out while towing at about 50 mph and struck a road sign. The wing swung past the fully deployed position, possibly another 45 degrees. The cabin top sustained major damage. I am currently having a new Hat-Rack being built at Kit Fox, which I will replace all the damaged tubing. The left wing sustained major damage, and has been repaired. I am currently applying finishing tapes to the cover.

Hopefully it'll be flying again this spring.

Cheers,
    Last edited by cgruby; 01-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying