Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Newbie Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Newbie Question

I removed my trim actuator and found by tweeting it into alignment I bent the rod end .
    it looks like if I just use a thin nylon washer at both ends it will align up ok, when I first installed it I used a thick washer and nylon washers at each end. I will replace the rod end before reinstalling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question Re: Newbie Question trim

When you called kitfox and talked to John what was his response to the misalignment? I have a kit on order and would like to know if this problem has been corrected. If your problem is in reference to the SS7 kit and it is now known as a problem in a major structure area I would like to think kitfox would have corrected the alignment. I'll keep checking in on this thread, would love to know ow many others had the same issue.

Jim, my conversation with the factory was limited to email however, I do not think that it was is viewed as a problem (SS7). So far, pretty much everything requires tweaking of some kind to get the fit and finish desired (builder defined). This was just another one of those adjustments needed to the actuator rod end and now is perfectly centered after installing, bonding/riveting, and drilling the mirrored tabs in the actuator pivot. I suspect that the miss-alignment was acceptable as was the slightly elongated holes in the actuator pivot however, I was not happy with either.

I just got my SS kit last month and my actuator doesnt align either. It looks exactly like Sabres pictures. I am finding this frustrating since it appears it is a known problem.

Default Re: Response to newbee fitting

I am to take delivery on an SS7 in a couple of months and I am becoming concerned about the improper fit to this fitting for the trim. In no way should one ever have to elongate a hole for proper fit. I have a Rans S-7 that I finished in 2011 and I had no problems with fit or finish with their plane. I believe I will send an email directly to John and find out why this has not been addressed and the corrections made if indeed there is a misfit for the alignment. If there is a known problem I would like to think John/Debra would address this. They seem like great folks to deal with, I have heard nothing but positive feed back from people I know that have the kit fox planes. If this is an isolated problem please feel free to chime in here and correct these concerns
    Jim

My 2012 kit was fine

Mine too - although it was a bit of an interesting tight exercise to fit all the washers in the scissors linkage at the top! I have just bought the trim indicator and about to fit it also - I think it might be best to order that at the start and fit it at the same time - I cant see any advantage to waiting 'till later (?).

cheers

ross

Regarding the alignment of the actuator. The facatory sent this photo and description for the fix.

The assembly in the manual is for reference.. the number of washers is not
    necessarily what will be used. That being said you do want at least one
    washer.

You'll find that if you place a AN3 bolt through the holes in the fuselage
    tabs then take a Crescent wrench over the tab you can bend both tabs
    slightly and keep the alignment of the mounting holes. (see pic) The amount
    needed will be very minor to have the top of the actuator line up.

We typically shift the actuator to one side and a thin plus a plastic
    washer.
    Attached Images Attached Images