Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: UL-Power UL350iS Engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default UL-Power UL350iS Engine

So I see that Kitfox is now offering FWF package for the ULPower UL350iS engine. I'm wondering if this same FWF package can be used for the UL260iS. I ask because I'm concerned that the ULPower Ul350iS will take the aircraft outside of the LSA limitation.

Default Re: UL-Power UL350iS Engine

The 260 and the 350 have the same mount and are within 12 lbs of weight so I would assume they are interchangeable. However, I am guessing you are worried about breaking the speed rules. Worst case you can pitch the prop so you don't break 120kt. Also you can use the UL350i which the same engine with lower compression pistons so that you can use a lower octane fuel. It is 118hp.

Another simply fix is a mechanical stop on your throttle cable.

And then again - it may not take you out of LSA! Check the power curve on their site. The 130 hp is at 3300 rpm at SL! Who in their right mind would run a direct drive at 3300 rpm? Realistically, it would be more in the 80 to 90 hp useable range. Fuel flow seems a little high for an injected engine too. Personally, I'd be apt to wait and see some real world data from an actual installation in an aircraft. I haven't heard of any yet. I'm in wait and see mode!

Greg

You may have already seen/heard this, but the UL350 has been installed on at least one Highlander and discussed for quite some time in that forum. Nineteen pages of comments - and I have to believe you'd find a lot of good information there.

http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?...88&hilit=stede
    RobS

Hey Greg,

The power curve is pretty flat. Makes 120 HP at 2700RPM

http://www.ulpower.com/engines/ul350iS/performance.html

Steve Dentz operates his highlander as an LSA with a 350iS. He says it out performs his Rotax ULS powered Highlander in every aspect.

Don't want to hijack the thread and I'm not suggesting this engine is a poor choice. I'm suggesting that each builder look at realistic performance numbers for their intended mission. That 120 hp is at SL (close to ISA rating as stated).

No one (I know of) "flies" at sea level. The chart below that one referenced, shows density altitude figures. Which is a much more realistic method of determining what power you really might have, in the conditions you fly most. I fly out of Denver (high and hot), so it's always on our minds here.

FWIW, the Zenith CH 750 Cruzer prototype is powered by one too - http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/index-cruzer.html

Scott Ehni put a new UL-350iS on a dyno. According to Scott it produced "115 corrected SAE HP." He went on to state that since the engine was new [not broken in] he expected it to eventually produce its rated HP (130).

I didn't see where the geographical location of the test but if it was done at his shop it would have been 233 feet MSL, but "corrected" SAE HP would have considered altitude . . .
    Last edited by N714SM; 09-29-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Clarification needed.