Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 912UL Issues

Default Re: 912UL Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    We only have the single sensor Dynavibe....(snip) ...I like your spark plug inspection idea too, that will happen first (easiest).
    Larry,

Not sure if this will help your situation or not, but I had a similar situation with my 912ul in 2007. It started running really rough when I had the plane at the Seaplane Base at OSH. During the week I had countless friends and every Rotax "Expert" I could find try and help me figure out what was wrong. But after a whole week of messing with it, the problem still persisted.

So after the convention I dug into it, and eventually found the problem. I narrowed it down by looking at my spark plugs, only to find one lower plug that was not burning as clean as the others (it was obviously firing, but was sooted up considerably more than the others). I traced back the wiring to the coils and modules, and finally...I found it!

A wire coming out of one of the igntion modules had a broken wire between the module and the multi wire connector.

On early 912ul's the wires coming out of the ignition modules are so short that the weight of the connector shaking during engine operation fatigues the wires to the point they can break. In my case just one wire was broken which controlled that spark plug. And even worse is that it would occasionally make contact, making the condition very intermittent (and hard to find ). I repaired the wire by braiding the wires back together as good as I could with the short wiring, applying a very light solder job over the braiding, and then sealed it up with heat shrink tubing. I know it is generally viewed as a no-no to use solder on aircraft, but my only other option I could come up with was to buy a big buck ($800??) ignition module. Repairing it solved my problem, but one day I may have to replace that module.

Apparently Rotax is aware of this problem as all the new 912's use longer wires from the box to the connector, which makes it much easier to secure the connectors without fatiguing the wires.

On a last note, I also helped a friend fix a brand new 912S that ran rough right out of the box. Again, he contacted every Rotax expert he could, but nothing helped. So one day we were looking it over together and I noticed that he had moved the wire coming off the stator to one side to give it more clearance. We moved the wire back to where it was originally, and amazingly we fixed the problem. Apparently that wire is very sensitive to where it is located on the back of the engine and/or how the shielding is grounded. This may have been just a fluke since normally we aren't moving stator wire locations on our engines, but it might be worth looking at in the case you have damaged shielding, broken wire, etc.

These are just a couple ideas I had to try and help you out, as I'm sure this is killing you knowing the busy summer flying season is almost here.

Paul Seehafer

Thanks, Paul. I did have one "ugly" plug when I changed them this weekend. Lower, cylinder #2.

Another lead I can follow [sic]. I do have spare ignition modules on the mangy fox I can "borrow".
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That's unique, same cylinder as mine.

Yes, it would make sense to try a module off of Mangy Fox - that is just plug-and-play. Childs play compared to all the other stuff you've gone through.

But hey, isn't it nice to have a whole parts plane laying around just in case you need something?

Paul

I am now cautiously optimistic that I have finally fixed the issue.

It was carberation. The giveaway was the carbon buildup on the plugs on one side. This lead me to believe that carb was running rich.

Long story short, I took off the carbs and went through them again. I really didn't find anything that was a glaring problem, but who knows…

I did also replace the carb boots with JBM Industries version. Again, I really couldn't see a problem with the old ones, but who knows…

It's a bit frustrating when you "fix" something and don't really know what you fixed.

Never the less, she's running much better and the problem area, 2000-3000 rpm is much, much better.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

As of today I've put on almost 5 hours and the motor is still running well, throughout the rev band.

I'm still not sure what the magic bullet was, but it was definitely in the carbs.

The JBM Industries Carb sockets are a welcomed addition. Well made, better than the Rotax OEM, and half the price.

One of the other things I did was to reverse sides on the carbs, putting the left carb on the right side and vise versa. This put the throttle arms and enricher linkages on the outside of the carbs when mounted on the engine. Re-routing the cables and re-plumbing the fuel lines was of course also needed. Needless to say thins makes tuning and working on the carbs infinitely easier.

I also learned that removing and installing the carbs is far easier if you remove the entire intake manifold and carb as an assembly. Installing the boot to the manifold and the carb to the boot is far easier with this assembly off the engine. For instance keeping the torque on the two mounting bolts, from the boot to the manifold, even is not even possible without removing the assembly from the engine.

Now, if we can only come up with a better source for carb parts. These are basically the same carbs used on older BMW R series motorcycles…

Another link...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 05-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here is a comparison to of the JBM versus the OEM carb boots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Glad to hear she is running well, been a long time coming.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks, Fin. Yes, it has been a long time coming.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good to hear!! There's hope!!!

Larry,

Great to get things running right again....

Curious....what model/source is the gascolator nounted on the lower part of the cowl on the right side?

Thanks,

Dave S