Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop Balancing Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prop Balancing Question

Daryl and I just got the Dyna Vibe that has been making the rounds this summer. We went to the hanger and set it up but I don't think we are doing it right. We are getting readings of 3.7 IPS on the Dyna Vibe. The instructional chart you download says that 1.25 IPS is extreme.

We have just over 300 hours on the engine and it has run great. Haven't really noticed any extreme vibrations. We have the 3 bladed Ivo prop. There are indicator tapes across the joints between the three blades. The tapes have never shown any indications of tearing. I would think that if the prop was extremely out of balance they would have torn long before now.

The attached picture shows how we set it up, which is just like the picture we got from Dorsal.

What I am wondering is if we have read the tape charts right. The charts give a tape width for a certain RPM. Is that engine RPM or prop RPM? The rotax we have is geared down about 2.6 to 1 if I remember right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Aaron Whitaker
    N730WH
    Attached Images Attached Images