Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Camping Gear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Camping Gear

After reading Peteohms little trip in the trip report section I am curious to see how many people actively camp out of their plane and what gear you have. Or not even camping. Maybe just for a long trip?

What does your gear comprise of and how do you go about packing the plane? What items would you never sacrifice to take even if they are a little bulkier or heavier?

I'm interested to see your replies and pictures of your setups.

Default Re: Camping Gear

My wife, her dog and I camp in the backcountry out of our Kitfox, but since its a model I we have plenty of room for "stuff". More later...

So my wife says to me, "Where do I sit?":

And I reply, "Why dear, just relax in your lawn chair and enjoy the journey.":
    Last edited by SkySteve; 06-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. I guess if a mod could move it to General it would be appreciated.

I camp out of my Kitfox III several times a year. I have camped at Oshkosh 3 times having flown from the Austin, TX. I've camped at Sun N Fun twice including the Tornado Adventure in 2011. I probably make about 3 Texas camping fly-ins per year.

before I moved to the Austin aream, I camped at Copperstate fly-in in Casa Grande, AZ twice and once at the Cactus fly-in also in Casa Grande.

When I started camping in Arizona in 2008 I took an air mattress, a sleeping bag, a small ice chest, 12 pack of beer and bit of food.

After I moved to Central Texas I got a tent and a folding chair, then eventually I got a cot to stay off lumpy ground. I also carry a small cloth overnight bag for clothes and toiletries and on long trips another bag for more clothes.

My cloth ice chest hangs on a rope behind the passenger seat so that it can bang against the aileron linkage ;-). My cloth overnight bag hangs on a rope behind the pilot seat. The tent, cot, air mattress are in a duffle bag in the passenger seat with a folding chair between the the duffle bag and the door.

I take out the stick on the passenger side and made a special basket that fits on the floor on that side and holds bottled water and small items.

See photo under "Waldo's Big Adventure" thread.
    Last edited by Peteohms; 06-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Great fun camping with the plane, have since purchased a slightly smaller tent and more compact sleeping pads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Ok Steve, we know your wife drives HER car and stays at a nearby motel. Ask me how I know.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove