Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Away-from-home-tiedowns

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Away-from-home-tiedowns

This thread is in part a response to Wayne T (AKA Twister) who queried in a different thread a while back about what people do to tie down on remote strips they visit. I didn't have any photos at that time, but, here goes.

I fabricated a set of three tiedown anchors patterned after the EAA example which they have on their website.

Photo 4368 shows the stakes (which are 5/16" Diameter HRS rather than 1/4"; and, 24" long rather than 18" shown on the EAA design) and the tiedown anchors.

Photo 4370 and 4372 show the detail of the attachment point....the triangle is 14 gauge 4130 rather than the 1/4" HRS example of the EAA design. Washers and reinforcement on both sides. U-bolt is a narrow 1/4" one.

Photo 4371 is the details of both ends of the rods.

Photo 4367 shows how the stakes would go through the plate and into the soil in a Teepee fashion.

The whole business has three anchor plates and 9 rods. I use my trusty geologists hammer/pick to pound them in and pry threm out. The EAA design shows a small rope puller to wrap around the ends and yank.

A person should angle the tiedown rope rope at least a 45 degree angle....not straight up from the anchor---much less succeptible to being pulled out then.

This doesn't work everywhere, but it works most places.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear - Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images