Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rebuilding Bing Carburetors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rebuilding Bing Carburetors

Branching off the HKS thread - While waiting for the missing jet, rebuild kit and manuals from bingcarburetor.com I'm trying to educate myself with the process. There is a lot of info in motorcycle related sites. In case it helps somebody else, I found a nice pictorial here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9342625

Now, a question to this group - I received this email advice from the kit makers:
    "
    The CV Carburetor has an o'ring on the throttle shaft. The screws are peened; you will need to file the peened end flush before you back them out. You will need to re-peen the new screws, you can also put a little locktite on them but the factory recommends that they be peened also."

After looking up "peen" in a dictionary and searching again among the motorcycle crowd, there seems to be two schools of thought:
    (1) Screws must be peened to make sure they never get loose and are ingested by a cylinder.
    (2) Peening is what ancient people did in the dark ages BL. (Before Loctite) Red Loctite is all you need, specially in a low stress application like this.

I'll go with (1) for peace of mind but, did anybody ever loose a "Loctited" screw in a carb?

Roberto.

Last edited by rwaltman; 08-28-2012 at 10:01 AM.