Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Esser's Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Esser's Build

My friend Matt came over and we sanded the ribs and once we were happy with the placement we tried our hand at Hysol. We learnt a few things along the way. When using Hysol it sets up in about 20-30 minutes to the point where its difficult to apply. We made a fairly large batch a first to do all of the horz stab ribs but we were unable to apply half that batch before it became too difficult to apply. The baggie idea is great for applying hysol. We did the ole finger method for the first run with ugly results. By the time we were done the horz stab we had very professional fillets. Nitrile gloves and lots of shop tools to clean up are a must.

Also when sanding the ribs, tape a piece of sand paper to the 1" tubing of the stab to make short work of fitting the ribs. Takes patience as it was a few hours to get them all in proper place.

Matt sanding away

The before picture

Matt cleaning some wayward Hysol

Our solution to a rib with a slight warp. Zip tie it in place! Also notice the HORRIBLE hysol job at our first crack at it compared with our later methods! Slight learning curve. Learn from our mistakes and fill a baggie with hysol and tape off your ends. Also apply all your hysol before you start trying to make a nice fillet. Once it sets up a little it's easier to shape.

A mostly finished product

I also installed the flapperon mixer assembly today but failed to get pictures. I would be interested to see some of your safety wire jobs on the flapperon mixer bolts as I had never wired before so I just went for it.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-07-2018 at 05:00 PM.