Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Rotec R2800 oil drain problem.

Thanks for the info. We do not have a aux. scavenge pump but that sounds like a good idea. We are getting close to flying. Just got the new prop from Rotec this week and should be up in the air in a week or so. I will let you know when we get it up in the air.

Matt

Matt,
    I am seeing oil draining from the exhaust also. I simply turn the engine using the starter so as to lubricate the engine while building. I am still about a year from flying. I use the electric scavange pump after turning the engine and still see a small amount of oil...like Joe said, "it's a radial". Let me know if you solve this.
    Don

I myself have a few hundred hours (6 years) on my own Rotec R2800 radial and it’s wonderful! When hangered I have catch bottles under the exhaust pipes, the oil is clean when it comes out of the pipes so I just poor it straight back into the oil tank via a strainer for re use, no problems. You know the Rotax 912 also has a separate oil tank, and will siphon oil just as easy if the remote oil tank is mounted higher than the crank shaft c/l. So it’s not just radials!

Also I chose not to fit the Rotec clean kit (electric after run oil scavenge pump) as I like the simplicity of my set up. If the oil drain back became an issue for me, which after 5 years it has not been, I would fit an inline oil shut off valve which would have a micro switch that cut out the starter.

The only compliant I have of the Rotec radial is really sore face muscles from all the smiling.
    Last edited by paulc; 02-18-2009 at 06:01 AM.