Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 iS

Default Re: Rotax 912 iS

Don't hold your breath!!!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

My short math says you will save around $14,000 in fuel cost over the life of the engine assuming the claimed 20% efficiency gain and 6 gph @ $6/gal. This also brought me to the stark realization that at my current rate of flying I will spend more on fuel in the next 15 years than I did building the plane. Of course it is likely to be shorter than that given the rising cost of gas (I did bias on high side but not by much). I suppose this shouldn't be surprising but I had never thought about it that way before, might make the new engine worth the switch someday
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal, your observation is the first thing that I saw when I began reading about the 912iS. If it only sold for $4000 more than the 912S (?) I would probably recoup that in fairly short order. Expensive? Yes! Worth it? I think so. We will see. Gotta build it first.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Update: Got a little info today and hopefully more on the way.

Ordered and told the earliest we can have one is July.... so stay tuned.

Rotax 912iS
    $24,917.70

True Apples to Apples comparison yielded a 16% increase. Of course that's not adding the monitor.

Plus.. new engine monitoring. You cannot use analog gauges. There is not a current glass panel that can be used.. I'm sure that will change. Talked with Rob at Advanced Flight Systems and they are looking at it with us.

The Engine Monitor from Rotax is $3893.50. That is the only option at this time.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post

The Engine Monitor from Rotax is $3893.50. That is the only option at this time.
    Ouch!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Wow, double ouch.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

YIKES! Uhhh...how much izzat in Euros?

I'm beginning to believe Dorsal's intriguing math is exactly what some training-school proprietors may consider but I'm wondering what the experimental market size for this engine, when the inevitable production price-hikes begin, may actually be. With an engine that can be monitored only through the manufacturer's own Rosetta-Stone-Incompatible instrumentation package, I have to wonder what's next: Rotax-only mounting hardware? Made of Unobtainium??

Until some size of the "practical" ("N.S.") market for these hummers is available, it may not even be worth another company's efforts to develop a competitive monitor unless there's something adaptable right off the shelf...and then...my guess is...it still won't be able to "sprech Deutsch mit dem Motor!"

One of my IPs once advised me to "Never fly the "A" model of anything!" Naturally I wound up being assigned to fly the "A" model of EVERYTHING for the next 20 years, but his advice seems particularly sage right now.

"E.T."
    (Why does 3M's agribusiness philosophy keep coming to mind?)

I am glad it is not a choice I have to make right now but I will remain optimistic that they chose an industry standard bus and protocol such that the local glass makers can adapt it to existing hardware.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I can't believe that every instrument manufacturer with the means wouldn't have one (at least) of these engines ordered to prototype/build an interface. Just as John at Kitfox is doing.

I will bet within 6 months from engine release there will be 10 or more aftermarket instrument packages available.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Just a thought, lets say you are in the back country, and have forgotten to turn of you battery...
    Will a fuel injected engine like the 912IS, be able to be hand propped.
    I assume its a "no", due to the electrical fuel pumps.... but, i newer have had a clear answer to this quistion.

Regards

Bizkid