Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Bottom Covering Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Wing Bottom Covering Question

I also left a gap between the tank and rib #3 so I can lace it. Should I still follow the Appendix C instructions and glue the fabric to the ribs (using 1:1 Polytak and MEK), only shrink to 250, then rib lace, then shrink to 350, then apply poly brush? Thanks for the comments.

By the way, for others who may be installing the tanks on the SS7, the Kitfox manual says to fill the gap between the tank edge and rib#3 with Hysol. This prevents rib lacing #3 rib. I left the gap open and used small blocks of wood between the side of the tank and the side of #3 rib, exactly like it tells you to do on rib #1. John McB approved this method because thats the way they do their SLSA.

I predrilled rib #3 where it butts against the tank. I took care to put the spacers on the tank bottom rib caps where they would not interfere with the lacing pattern.

I glued everything with polytack and shrunk to 350. Like Lowell it took a bit of creativity on the bottom of the tank working curved needles up and round and down and though. sometimes retracing the cord to get the needle through the proper hole. I saw it as a challenge. In the end it is all glued and stitched tightly to the under camber including under the tank.

I did have a few spots that tried to pop off when shrinking the fabric, but once the stitching was installed it pulled things down where I could use some fresh Polytack and reglue the fabric and press it down with a Century covering iron (Hobby shop item).

John