Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Building tips and hints

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Building tips and hints

RE: Paint runs and sags

Thanks Tom!!! (Lion8)

I have to admit, I didn’t think this would work as well as it does.

I decided to give it a try. I primed an empty Dr. Pepper can (we’re in Texas). I purposely sprayed until the primer ran, then pulled out a length of tape and mashed it onto the run. Much of the paint was picked up by the tape but it did lift the run. The surface didn’t look that great with a sort of mottled appearance , but it was flat. I waited a couple of minutes and hit it with a few fresh shots. To my surprise, the primer blended well and produced a usable surface.

So on to the next test… I shot some color on the can and made a saggy run. This time I let it sit for a bit as you might do when painting, not discovering the run until it’s almost too late. Out came the masking tape. It once again lifted the run and much of the surrounding paint. Without further prep I shot on a few short sprays and the paint blended and leveled out. Presto! The run was gone.

Just for fun I tried the technique with drywall tape instead of masking. It worked, but not as well. Something about the adhesive and sticky surface that makes masking tape the material of choice.

This is a great tip!
    First photo shows the run area after daubing with the tape. Second photo is after re-spray. Not bad!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images