You will need to measure your garage carefully to see if a SS7 will fit inside. The specs are listed on the Kitfox website but they don’t tell the full story. Most residential garages have 7 foot door height and are 22 feet deep.

First the height issues
A tail dragger SS7 height is listed at 5’ 8”; but that is the airframe and does not include the prop. A three blade prop puts the height close to 7 feet. If you will store your airplane in a garage you should consider a two blade prop to clear the door and ceiling. A tricycle gear Kitfox tail is 8’ and will not clear a standard door without a little jockeying. You will have to push down on the tail to clear the door. Some owners use a dolly to raise the nose gear and lower the tail.

Next the length

The Kitfox SS7 is 22’ 7” long with the wings folded. It’s 13 inches longer than the Classic IV. So you might find it a bit tight in your standard garage. This is often the most limiting dimension.

Width

The SS7 is 8’ 0” wide with wings folded. Many single car garages have 8 foot doors so check this one carefully. Even 9 foot doors can be tight because the door casing reduces the width sometimes by 6 inches or more.

And now the pilot.

A 6 foot tall pilot will fit in a Kitfox about the same as you fit in a coach seat of an MD-80. Leg and head room is not a problem. However, at 290 lbs you might be a little more than cozy with a passenger at the hips and elbows.

You should be aware that getting into and out of a Kitfox is a bit like a yoga exercise or playing “Twister”. There are various techniques. I stick my head inside first, turn my back to the center of the cockpit and scoot my rear in the seat. Next I swing my legs inside then lift my right leg over the joy stick. I recommend you find a Kitfox near you to see if you are comfortable in the seat and if getting in and out is reasonable.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas