Eric, thanks for your thoughts - this fairing of the grove gear gets more complex with each iteration and this complexity may explain why no one has seemingly come up with the magic bullet that I could find so far. It may be that the flat plate forward surface of the rectangular gear cross section is in fact the least drag creating shape after all. Having said that an engineer friend of mine thought that most of the drag on such a flat plate surface is usually on the down wind side of the plate. I wonder what Kitfox does for their streamlined grove gear on their Speedster model?

Another possible iteration may be to place a triangular cross section length of foam just in front of, but not connected to the gear cross plate. This foam piece could be glued down to the fuselage fabric to act as a forward ramp for the air to slide over the gear surface while allowing the gear to flex during landings. This would prevent any air from entering the gap between the fuselage bottom fabric and the top of the gear plate. Something similar could be attached to the fuselage just behind the gear plate, again not quite touching the gear. I saw something similar to this on the front side of the gear in an old post but I didn't see anything on the back side, where most of the drag tends to be created. If this idea was without a down side I suppose the foam pieces could be enclosed in fabric to better hold it in place on the fuselage. Any thoughts and/or constructive criticism are welcome.