Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: EAA Airventure 2024

Default EAA Airventure 2024

With the countdown at 77 days, the first of 6 volunteer work weekends just concluded. As usual some news was delivered at the opening meeting. The supposed "final" draft for the new ultralight field is in all the powers that be (FAA, city, state, DNR, EPA etc) possession but no relocation this year. Vintage aircraft has a new Education Center hangar just south of their present location. 106 new improved camping sites (elec/water) located in the vicinity of the showers at Stitts and Elm will be available. I don't imagine the "regulars" that have been camping there for years will be thrilled. The tram turnaround by the ultralight field will be moved by FAA directive. They apparently didn't like it under the ultralight flight path especially after last years accident. Several of the eating facilities by the flight line will have new concessionaires. Both the Snowbirds and Freece Tricolori do not require a larger aerobatic box, so no restrictions like when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels perform. The Lifetime Member Oasis will be enlarged especially the outdoor seating. I'll be back up in 2 weeks and will pass along any info I get. Start getting ready!!!

Rick

Default Re: EAA Airventure 2024

To the best of my knowledge, the current hold up with the "new" ultralight area is the local municipality.

The current political climate of the town of Nekimi is they do not want any more expansion of the EAA grounds. They are invoking the wrath of the state DNR using a drainage ditch being classified as a navigable stream.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry, probably quite true. I got the impression when my question was being answered, if it's moving forward, it's at less than a snail's pace. I had to look it up to be sure, but in WI, if it has a defined bed and banks (a drainage ditch), it only has to float the smallest canoe or kayak on a recurring basis (once a year) even if downed trees or other obstructions would impede the watercraft. Wouldn't be surprised if the project dies a slow death.

Rick

EAA has invested quite a lot of money and resources into the move. The FAA is pushing for it, especially in light of last year's accident.

My understanding at this point is that it is a waiting game for the municipality to come around...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have a couple of questions about flying into Oshkosh in my 80HP Kitfox that won't do 90 knots:
    1. What's the better camping area - Homebuilt or Ultralight? By 'better' I mean not camped next to a generator, and a reasonable distance to bathroom/showers.
    2. Can I fly into the Ultralight field, and then taxi to Homebuilt Camping?
    3. If I fly the Fisk Arrival at 82 knots between 7:00 AM and 7:30 AM as listed in the NOTAM for slow aircraft, how ****ed are the people behind me going to be?

Thanks!

I'm sure Larry will chime in here, but the camping with the airplane is right next to the ultralight field. not a problem, nice area
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

If you land at the ultralight field you don't need to do the Fisk arrival or mix in with all of the other arriving aircraft. I landed at the UL runway and camped there in 2021. It was much easier and lower stress level than doing the Fisk arrival. Just make sure you read and understand the NOTAM.

If you land at the UL field you are pretty much stuck there, but it might be possible to reposition your plane so you could taxi to the north end.

Camping at by the UL field/Red Barn was really nice. You are at the very south end of the airport, but there are trams coming by continuously during the day that can take you around the field.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by grimgrinnin View Post
    I have a couple of questions about flying into Oshkosh in my 80HP Kitfox that won't do 90 knots:
    1. What's the better camping area - Homebuilt or Ultralight? By 'better' I mean not camped next to a generator, and a reasonable distance to bathroom/showers.
    2. Can I fly into the Ultralight field, and then taxi to Homebuilt Camping?
    3. If I fly the Fisk Arrival at 82 knots between 7:00 AM and 7:30 AM as listed in the NOTAM for slow aircraft, how ****ed are the people behind me going to be?

Thanks!

1. I'm biased. I would rather be at the Ultralight Field. Camping is under-wing, bathrooms are close and good showers aren't *that* far away (parking at north end of runway showers at south end). Plus you can fly during the week for fun with only a briefing session wrist band. Coming and going from HB Camping is not really possible.
    2. No. If you fly into the ultralight field, you must fly out of there, join the approach to the main field, land wherever and taxi to HB Camping.
    3. I've never had any issue flying the Fisk arrival. If people are faster than you, they pass you.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Airventure 2024 NOTAM released. https://www.eaa.org/~/media/b6c87446...2e42c3ea7.ashx

Rick