Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Has Anyone Used Tustin Grips Successfully?

Default Has Anyone Used Tustin Grips Successfully?

If so, could you please describe how you dealt with the added height? Did you modify the factory stick or have one fabricated with a modified geometry? I would like to use a set of these on my Classic IV but am having a difficult time figuring how to manage the added height and still retain the necessary stick geometry. Thanks in advance.

John

Default Re: Has Anyone Used Tustin Grips Successfully?

You can shorten the top of the stick an inch or so but the bottom can't be shortened much because the curve of the stick will run into your seat cushion when landing.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    You can shorten the top of the stick an inch or so but the bottom can't be shortened much because the curve of the stick will run into your seat cushion when landing.
    Yes, that's exactly what concerns me. I'm beginning to think that a new stick with an altered geometry will be required.

John

Are you talking about the Tustin bicycle grips, or the Tosten stick grips?

Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w View Post
    Are you talking about the Tustin bicycle grips, or the Tosten stick grips?
    The stick grips. And.... I just realized I made a spelling error, it's TOSTEN and it's this grip: https://tostenmanufacturing.com/product/cs-2-aircraft-grip/

I have the CS-8. Your CS-2 is the same as mine but no HAT or other top side switches.
    I'm pleased with it. It's very comfortable, even more so once I adjusted the pilot grip to the right to line up with my left hand better. I do like the trim on the HAT switch. Very convenient! I could still trim it down another inch or so, but it's fine for me.
    I cannot compare it to others as I have not flown any other grip.

I carefully trimmed the top of the stick to meet my needs, after my instrument panel was complete and after I placed my seat cushions. Several trimmings were needed until I was happy with the height. Careful adjusting was needed to ensure the stick did not contact the panel and full control movement was maintained. Difficult but not impossible.

Hope this helps you!

Web capture_6-5-2024_133123_www.aircraftspruce.com.jpeg IMG_2570.jpg IMG_2306.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Here's a pic while flying down to Byrd's giving a great view of how the grip is orientated while being used. My left arm is resting on my leg and my hand is resting comfortably on the grip. The HAT is trim, and the two top buttons are freq. flip-flop and a/p disconnect.
    Camera shutter speed did not pick up the AFR gauge LED output. Runs about 14.2 in cruise.

IMG_2604.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint